- SCI Manufacturing - Singapore
3 Depot Close, Singapore 109840
- Kenneth H. F. Kwong, Marketing Manager
S. Chan, Manufacturing Operations Manager
Soh Siang Loh, M. E. Manager
Mission and Strategy
- SCI, started as an R&D company in 1961, entered commercial
contract manufacturing in 1977. It is the largest contract
manufacturer, with 22 facilities worldwide, which are ISO 9002
certified. It locates its facilities near its customers. Revenues have
grown from $2 billion in 1994 to a projected $4 billion in 1996. SCI's
objectives are to provide capability, speed/flexibility, value, and
synergy to support its customers.
- Its Far East operations include Singapore, Thailand, and Penang,
which operate at 150 million placements/mo.
Key Elements of Presentation
- SCI Singapore's customers include Hewlett-Packard, Seagate,
Singapore Technologies, Compaq, Texas Instruments, Exabyte, NEC
Semiconductors, Baxter, and Apple.
- SCI Singapore builds PC motherboards, LAN cards, printer cards,
SIMMS, disk drive cards, modem cards, tape drive cards, and video tuner
- The Singapore facility has 18 SMT lines using Fuji equipment with
85%-90% ICT yield and 92%-95% functional test yield. Test equipment
includes Hewlett-Packard, Genrad, Zentel, and Fairchild. The company is
achieving 11 inventory turns.
- SCI Singapore performs failure analysis to the component level but
leverages GINTIC's local facilities for component failure analysis,
obtaining local perspectives and networking among local manufacturers.
SCI Singapore is not working with GINTIC on BGA qualification because
BGA qualification is being done by SCI in Huntsville for the
Key Elements of Tour
- SCI is experiencing a turnover rate of 3% per month for its
operators. New operators are given a 3-day basic course and must pass
an examination before they begin one month of on-the-job training. SCI
provides good benefits and quarterly profit sharing.
- Professional staff have lower turnover but leave for better
opportunity jobs. This is especially true for engineers who have been
out of college for 5 years or less.
- Approximately 82% of SCI Singapore's workforce are operators, and
30% of the operators are Malaysians who are picked up by bus on a daily
basis. SCI also employs many operators from China, for whom SCI
provides dormitory housing.
SCI Singapore generated $330 million in revenues in 1995.
- SCI obtains advanced manufacturing process technology from
Huntsville, AL, and does concurrent engineering, including PCB layout
and process implementation, locally.
- SCI has global purchasing centers for selected corporate commodity
management in Huntsville, Singapore, and Irvine, Scotland.
Published: May 1997; WTEC