- WKK Industries, Ltd.
WKK Bldg., 9/F, 418A Kwun Tong Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2357-8888; Fax: (852) 2343-5283; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- L. H. Choi, Senior Manager, Sales and Marketing
Patrick K. K. Lee, Assistant General Manger, Engineering
Shu Tim Liu, General Manager, Shajin Factory, China
Mission and Strategy
- WKK provides both OEM and ODM services. WKK is the manufacturing
arm for customers and produces a wide variety of high-quality products,
in both large and small volumes, sourcing all components and
subassemblies plus packaging and shipping.
- About 20% of current sales are ODM. The customer provides
conceptual design and sketch or mockup; WKK designs the cosmetics and
shape and produces the mechanical and PCBA. Depending on the product, a
firm quote takes two to six weeks.
- WKK has 8 years' experience with Japanese customers: it produces
Sega color LCD games, Universal remote controllers, Casio calculators,
NEC color printer boards and 486 motherboards, Yamaha mini hi-fis,
Scientific Atlanta's cable TV decoder, and cordless telephones for
Seiko and Kenwood (including pilot runs).
- WKK will make Sharp's PDA, using 0.3 mm parts, Internet, and CD ROM
cards. WKK produces the 16-bit Sega Genesis and will produce the new
32-bit game machine using a CD ROM player and PCMCIA cards.
- WKK was ISO 9001 certified in 1994.
Key Elements of Presentation
- The WKK group is headed by Wong's Kong King International
(Holdings), Ltd. Total revenues for 1995 were over $122 million, an
increase of 41% over 1994.
- WKK has operations in China, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan,
and California. The China factory will be moved to a new site in 1997
with Nissin precision parts joint venture.
- China has five operating groups (digital/game, audio and SMT
manufacturing, personnel/administration, and engineering). Hong Kong
handles R&D, QA, and marketing.
- China has 17 managers, 11 engineers, and 3 supervisors from Hong
Kong; 6 managers, 58 engineers, and 49 staff from China, plus 1,679
direct laborers, including 135 quality inspectors. Assembly operations
run one shift. SMT runs 24 hours per day.
- The average monthly salary for engineers in China is $275, compared
to $2,055 in Hong Kong. Factory workers take home $65 per month.
Benefits run $65 for administration fees and local taxes. HK factory
workers cost HK$825 per month. The turnover rate is as high as 50% in
Key Elements of Tour
- SMT lines include 8 Yamaha lines sold by WKK with assembly time of
0.3-0.4 sec. per component, and 5 KME lines with 0.15 sec. assembly
time per component for runs of over 1,500 units per day. 10 stand-
alone machines do batch production. The finest pitch currently in mass
production at WKK is 0.5 mm pitch. The Yamaha can handle 0.3 mm.
- Genrad, Tescon Point, and Test Research machines are used for ICT
- 900 Casio calculators are produced each hour, 9,000 per day.
- Japanese management methods and innovative assembly practices are
- Two 64-bit lease lines for voice and data keep WKK linked via voice
and e-mail between China, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United States.
- WKK has engineering expertise in mechanical, digital electronics,
telecommunication, and document control for designs and drawings.
- WKK is the agent for Yamaha and has access/know-how for the latest
- WKK has food computer and communications systems.
- Highly innovative and experienced factory management in China;
produces wide variety of products.
- Strong Japanese customers with leading game, phone, and PDA
- It has strong SMT capabilities, with Yamaha agency and engineering
Published: May 1997; WTEC