- Nam Tai Electronic & Electrical Products Ltd.
Unit 513-520, 5/F., No. 1 Hung To Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong
Tel: (852) 2341-0273; Fax: (852) 2341-4164
- Tadao Murakami, Chairman and President, Nam Tai Electronic &
Electrical Products, Ltd.
- Tetsuya Onishi, Chief Engineering Manager, Nam Tai Electronic
(Shenzhen) Co., Ltd.
Mission and Strategy
- Nam Tai utilizes the relative advantages of China's low labor cost,
Japan's advanced technology and management system, and Hong Kong's
gateway between China and other countries. Its objective is to stay
"one step ahead for customer satisfaction."
- Nam Tai is targeting Japanese firms looking for low-cost production
of high-tech consumer electronic products. Products include
calculators, databank, personal organizers, electronic dictionaries, IC
card readers, LCD modules, COB assembly, and SMT assembly.
- Key customers include Canon, Sharp, Seiko Instruments, Matsushita
Battery, Texas Instruments, Optrex, Toshiba, Nintendo through Sharp,
- Nam Tai aims to be China's top-quality company. It obtained ISO
9002 in 1993 and ISO 9001 in 1996.
Key Elements of Presentation
- New COB facilities and processes allow 130 mm fine pitch with
high-speed and accurate coating and semi automated die attach machines.
By 1997, Nam Tai will be able to wire bond 100 mm fine pitch ICs.
- OLB will allow for 281 pin/240 mm pitch TAB. By 1997, Nam Tai will
be able to assemble 500 pin count/200 mm pitch TAB parts and BGA.
- SMT will allow for 500 mm fine pitch in the new factory, and 300 mm
pitch by 1997.
- Nam Tai will introduce chip on glass in 1997 and begin MCM
assemblies using BGA, CSP, and flip chip.
Key Elements of Tour
- PCBs are 100% inspected due to high cost of chips.
- Nam Tai has 80 sets of wire bonding equipment, 3 SMT systems, 3
sets of TCP assembly machines (OLB), and 2 sets of automatic heat seat
- Wire bonding machines do 200 million wires per month with at 0.3 to
0.4 seconds per wire, 4 to 5 million LSI per month or 2 million pieces
with 4 or 5 chips per piece.
- SMT uses KME's CM82C high-speed chip-mounter, 0.15 second
placement, using 1005 parts.
- Sharp's mini-Taurus are produced weighing 110 grams.
- All future products will be lightweight and thin, requiring COB and
OLB processes. Nam Tai attaches 280 mm pitch tab chips with 281 pins
for the Sharp organizer. Chips placed on the board are 0.42 mm
- Quality. ISO 9001 certification. The OLB quality is 99.6%
- Experienced managers are from Japan and Taiwan.
- Wire bonding, SMT, OLB (TAB), and fine-pitch heat seal
- Nam Tai can make any high-tech consumer products coming out of
- Low cost labor and local suppliers, plus high-tech processes are a
- Recruiting of top managers from around the world is its major
strength for the future.
Published: May 1997; WTEC