Integration with Business
EBM is seen by many in Europe and Japan as a natural extension of leanmanufacturing and/or concurrent engineering.
- In the US, it is still often viewed as a separate and specialactivity.
European EBM/DFE support strategies seem to have evolved to
- a) have a group of experts at corporate R&D level, but
- b) definitely have a few dedicated DFE/EBM persons at the businessunit/manufacturing plant level.
Integration with company wide information systems (and beyond to suppliers)is being pursued.
Interestingly, few (if any) have really linked environmental assessmentsclosely with business/economic assessments.
- Mostly on a case-by-case basis.
- Not systematically.
- In some cases, governmental bid packages include request for environmentalanalysis in addition to financial budget.
- Financial and environmental accounting systems not linked (yet).
Published July 13, 2000; WTEC Workshop on Environmentally Benign Manufacturing (EBM) Technologies