DFE - Europe
Arguably leading this area
Most larger companies all seem to have some expertise in it
- Seen now by many as "just another Design for X" to be done, but (still)lower in priority to technical and economical concerns.
- Fits in concept of lean manufacture ? avoid waste.
- Low hanging fruits can easily be identified using existing DFEtools/practices.
Even in Europe's large companies, getting practicing engineers to do DFEcan be a problem.
Trade-off and detailed analyses are still difficult to do.
Trials with implementing DFE in Small & Medium-Size Enterprises havebeen conducted in Netherlands and Sweden.
- Current tools are good enough to get them started.
- Self-motivation and sustaining of effort is difficult ? SME may not seebusiness advantage or simply has no time.
Published July 13, 2000; WTEC Workshop on Environmentally Benign Manufacturing (EBM) Technologies