From the End to the Front - Design for Environment
Interest in DFE is growing world-wide
- Avoidance of waste is culturally ingrained - lean thinking.
- Growing necessity due to limited natural resources available (incl.space)
- Strong focus on tools:
- Design for Disassembly
- Design for Recycling
- Many tools are developed in-house. One reason: language barrier.
- Integration with other design and management tools and practices still notresolved.
- Cooperation between government and industry not strong.
- Ongoing work and several major initiatives and conferences.
- However, DFE is not integrated in curricula.
- Mainly elective course and driven by individual faculty interest.
Published July 13, 2000; WTEC Workshop on Environmentally Benign Manufacturing (EBM) Technologies