Reuse & Remanufacture
- Reuse is pursued primarily when it makes business sense.
- Most reuse is done by third party remanufacturers.
- Automobile parts, manufacturing equipment are well establishedremanufacturing infrastructures.
- "Inverse Manufacturing" seems to be well known phrase in manycompanies.
- Electronic companies are thinking about using "inverse manufacturing" andservice industry paradigm (rather than being product sales oriented) to theiradvantage.
- Still, "classical" remanufacture and reuse problems persist
- set-up of reverse logistics network is challenging
- need for better reprocessing technologies
- products not designed for reuse - designers need re-education
- radical new concepts still in laboratory stage
- Profitability can still be a problem
- Slightly different situation due to emphasis of take-back legislation.
- High interests in "selling-use" from academia and governments.
Published July 13, 2000; WTEC Workshop on Environmentally Benign Manufacturing (EBM) Technologies