- Recycling efforts either self-motivated or in response to Europeaninitiatives.
- Avoidance of waste and saving of resources is culturally ingrained.
- Take-back laws considered are derived from European initiatives.
- High emphasis on take-back for recycling - due to legislation.
- Working take-back system in place in The Netherlands.
- Reprocessing still highly dependent on manual labor (for sorting,disassembly, inspection). US may lead in mechanical separationtechnologies.
- Recycling/reuse is seen as new job opportunities, especially inGermany.
- No magic silver bullets.
- No objection from population to pay extra for disposal fee on consumergoods.
- European laws to be implemented are stricter than Dutch law.
- Experience from Dutch recyclers:
- should be economically viable to be self-sustaining;
- find market for materials first, then recycle.
Published July 13, 2000; WTEC Workshop on Environmentally Benign Manufacturing (EBM) Technologies