Making Recycling Processes Robust to Material Stream VariationStrategiesand Challenges
- Low output material properties expectations.
- Dilution with virgin materials.
- Automated separation. (MBA Polymers, Noranda)
- Post process material properties tuning. (MBA Polymers)
- For both metals (especially aluminum) and polymers, contamination (PVC,flame retardants) reduces recyclability.
- General trends towards higher performance (tightly specified) materialsmake contamination an even greater problem.
- Logistics and transportation efficiency is key for avoiding unnecessaryseparation, reducing costs, and maximizing environmental benefit.
Published July 13, 2000; WTEC Workshop on Environmentally Benign Manufacturing (EBM) Technologies