In summary, the committee made the following general observations:
- Japan has focused on LC FPDs for the 1990s:
- a-Si TFT LCD for 3- to 15-inch video performance in color.
- Compensated STN LCD for 3- to 18-inch graphics performance.
- Large, direct-view, consumer-priced "TV-on-the- wall" is not feasible
before the year 2000.
- Research and development will continue but will be heavily weighted in the
direction of LCDs.
- FPDs cannot compete in price with CRTs.
- For the first time, a-Si TFT AMLCDs have demonstrated performance
comparable to CRTs in the 3- to 15-inch size.
- The price separation between LCDs and CRTs for comparable performance will
remain a factor of five to one or more.
- LCD projectors are emerging to compete with CRT projectors in the 40- to
- a-Si TFTs and p-Si TFTs are competing with each other for market
- EL and plasma will be relegated to custom markets.
- Color improvements and cost reduction are needed to change the trend.
- Because of unique performance attributes, each may increase in production
volume where faster response time, wider viewing angle, and larger sizes are
needed over the LCD achievements.
Published: June 1992; WTEC Hyper-